Thursday, January 7, 2010

Southern Tier Brewing

I recently came across two of Souther Tier's Blackwater series of beers.
Thers are some lovely girl-friendly flavors, ladies. The entire series is dark beers with dessert-type flavors (vanilla, coffee, chocolate) and you can bet I'm keeping my eyeballs peeled for more of them.

The first one I got was the Creme Brulee Stout
Now, I am major vanilla nut and the name alone for me conjures up visions of creamy slight floral decliciousness. I fully expected to be disappointed, but I wasn't
Southern Tier delivers a rich, heavy mouthfeel with beautiful, sweet vanilla notes.
I am completely in love with this one.

The second one my beer store had was the Jah-va
This one is a coffee stout made with Jamaican beans. Once again, Southern Tier has taken an ingredient of intense depth and fully delivered on it's subtlety and distinctive character.


I have only 2 caveats to mention with either of these beers. The first one is that they are VERY sweet. The Creme Brulee more so, although I found the sweetness a bit more distracting in the Jah-va.

The second reservation I have in recommending them is that they are sold in 22oz bottles. There beers are very strong and very rich. 22oz was a bit much for yours truly. I still highly recommend both (and based on these any others of the Blackwater series you can get your hot little hands on), but I also recommend finding a friend to split a bottle with.

No comments: