Monday, July 26, 2010

Fringe Fest 2010

Most years Belmont Stations hosts some tastings with local breweries that aren't being featured at the Oregon Brewers Festival, and this year was no exception. I missed the earlier in the day tastings, because I was still making my way through the Brewer's Festival.

We did catch several folks in the afternoon, and here the rundown on what they had to offer.

First props to Mr. Henry Gorgas of Fire Mountain who was very patient with my brain going hay wire and confusing his brewery name with another similiar sounding one. His website isn't up yet but will be at firemoutainbrewery.com, in the meantime we do have a link to his facebook page

He was pouring 3 beers

Oregon Pale Ale, which was light with just a hint of sweetness.

Bad Henry IPA, which I have to say was just brillant, he managed to create a very mellow beer that still tasted like a Northwest IPA, but does it without turning your mounth inside out.

Steam Stout, this one is a nice surprise, it starts out smooth and creamy with deep malt chocolate and coffee yum, and then has just enough bitterness to keep it from being overwhelming.

If we had a "Brewers to Watch" list (maybe I should make one?) Mr. Gorgas would make the cut. I particularly like that he is managing to get mellow european style complexity out of his beers while still using all Northwest local hops. I brought home a bottle of evertyhing he brought.


Pale Horse of Salem was our other tasing of the day. No website for them yet.

Hillbilly Blonde- a nice summer beer, a little heavier than is average with a blonde, but I think that gives it a better flavor profile.

Mystic Wolf Amber- A nice rich color with definate carmel flavors and just a hint of bitter citus

Hopyard Dog- This one was a bit strong for me unless I am really in a bitter beer mood, but there is a solid malt base to it so the hops aren't totally overwhelming, definatly one I class in the 'drinkable and not unpleasant) range

Pale Horse Stout- This one is a Irish Style Stout so it's on the drier end of the scale. Very good roasty flavors and nice dry snap to the finish.

Gilgamesh Brewing of Turner had a number of their beers on tap Saturday. The two that caught my eye were

Chocolate Mint stout- yes, with cocoa nibs and locally growen mint leaves. It was probably a bit warm for it right now, but I would love to see this one again over the holidays.

Mamba- black tea, tangerine peels and no hops at all went into this one and, I for one, really enjoyed the sweet citrus notes that resulted.

1 comment:

Geoff said...

I didn't find a single one that I didn't like at Fringe Fest this year. They all had their unique traits, very few detractions. Flavors favored goes to the Mamba and Bad Henry.